Sunday, May 28, 2017

Everest's Birth Story

Friday, May 19th started off like any normal day.  We went to the park with friends.  Stephen was working late that night so we went out to Chick-Fil-A and to run errands at Walmart in the evening.  

I was feeling pretty huge and waddling around,  but not any different than I had in prior weeks.  I got the boys ready for bed and into bed.

It wasn't until I went to the bathroom and realized I had lost my mucous plug that I began to wonder if this little sister would make her debut long before her June due date.

I still didn't really think that I would go into labor right away.  I settled down to chill and watch family feud as Stephen got home from work at around 8:30 pm.  I was having a few Braxton hicks contractions, but they were super close together, super short, and not painful.  

I mentioned it to Stephen, and how I felt like she would be coming this week, but I hoped she would wait a few more days because this weekend was not a good one.  Nathan was graduating so it would be hard for my family to come as planned.  I needed to do laundry and get the house in order.  Sunday was Ephraim's big dress rehearsal for his dance recital.  

I decided to get into bed, but my tummy was grumbling and I started feeling nauseous so I was feeling pretty restless and having trouble sleeping. It was kind of rainy with some thunderstorms rolling through.

At around 2:00 in the morning I felt a distinct pop.  I lay there wondering what it was, but didn't get up right away.  At around 2:15 I decided to get up to go to the bathroom.  Once I stood up I realized my water had broken.

Contractions started to come on gradually as I woke up Stephen and we started going down the list of people to call to watch the boys while we were at the hospital.  I took a quick shower and hastily packed up a bag, while Nathan Harman came and saved the day by staying the night so the boys could sleep in their own beds.

The drive to the hospital was peaceful.  The normally gridlocked roads around here are pretty empty at 3 in the morning.  The rain had stopped but there was a beautiful lightening show off in the distance.  It was kind of cool.

We arrived at the hospital and got checked in.  Everything got situated and they checked how far along I was.  I was just about a four,  so I made a mental goal to make it to a five and then see how I felt before getting an epidural.  Stephen laid down to rest and I tried hard to rest in between contractions,  but between the hip pain, uncomfortable hospital bed, and increasingly uncomfortable contractions, that was not happening.  I started counting down the minutes until the nurse would come check me again.  When she came to check I was almost a 5.  It was shift change so I waited for the next nurse to come and told her I wanted an epidural, because I figured I was in for the long haul.  After all,  Ephraim's labor had been 36 hours and Asher's 12, and I didn't seem to be progressing quickly.  

Right as the anesthesiologist came in to do the epidural my contractions started to get really intense.  I was so ready for that epidural.  As it started to take effect the familiar feeling of complete relaxation came like it did with Asher's labor.  I was more comfortable than I had been in months.

That's when things progressed really quickly.  I think it was around 8 when I got my epidural,  and by 9 they checked me and I was just about ready to push.

I relaxed while we waited for the doctor to arrive.  They got me all prepped and I started pushing and then there she was!  Three pushes and one contraction!  I really couldn't believe how easy it was.

She was petite and had soooo much hair!  We did skin to skin,  and took guesses as to how big she was.  I figured she might be 7.5 pounds and most of the nurses were in the same range.  She nursed a bit and snuggled a lot.  She was healthy and alert.

Then they came to weigh her and check her out.  Nothing prepared me for how small she really was!  She was 6 lbs 7 oz and 19 inches long.  My tiny little girl.  

We moved to recovery and she continued to be a great eater and sleeper.  She did not like to be disturbed if she was cozy and REALLY didn't like her bath.  My recovery was so easy!  I really recommend having six pound babies.

So many people came to the rescue for the boys.  The Harman's watched them all morning and Theresa took them to Claire's birthday party.  Then Kelsi DaSilva came and spent the whole afternoon with them.  Once the evening came Morgan Matheson came and stayed the night.  Not to mention that my family left immediately following Nathan's graduation to drive over night and be there Sunday morning. 

Stephen ran home to say hi to the boys and help get them in bed.  We facetimed and they got to say hi to baby sister (who was still VERY nameless.) Ephraim was so excited to see her that he didn't even say hi to me and immediately asked, "Where is baby sister?" and Asher was very interested in her as well.

Saturday night was a little rough, only because I couldn't sleep a wink on that stupid hospital bed. Sunday morning came and my family arrived to visit before they headed over to our house to get the boys.  We finally decided on a name and we pestered the hospital about getting out of there as soon as possible.  They were super helpful and responsive and they had us out of there by lunchtime!  

This whole birth experience was so smooth, made possible by wonderful nurses, supportive and selfless friends & family, and a tiny little girl who wanted to make her entrance into the world early and quickly.

Everest Rose Beckman
Born on May 20, 2017 at 9:37 am
6 lbs 7 oz and 19 inches long


  1. Welcome to the family little Everest! We are so excited that you are here!

  2. Can't wait to hold Everest Rose and see her...

  3. So awesome! Thanks for sharing!

  4. ปรับรูปหน้าเรียว
    ฉีดหน้าเรียว ลดริ้วรอย คือ อยากหน้าเรียวทำได้ไง หลายๆคนคงเกิดคำถามนี้
    และการฉีดลดหน้าเรียวด้วยโบท็อกก็เป็นวิธีการรักษาที่ทำได้ง่าย โดยไม่ต้องผ่าตัด
    ฉีดหน้าเรียว pantip
    โบท็อก หน้าเรียว
    ฉีดโบท็อก ที่ไหนดี