Pages

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Asher's Blessing Day


Asher's blessing day was a beautiful day!  We had so much family present and took some cute pictures before church.


Stephen, his dad, my dad, Matt, Zak, CJ, Ben, and Mark Cook were in the circle. 
In his blessing he was given his name: Asher Don Steven Beckman. He was counseled to seek companionship with his older brother and future siblings and family. He was blessed to be near to the spirit and to seek understanding from Heavenly Father.  He was blessed with balance of worthy things in life and to seek for help from others.  He was told what a blessing he was to his family, and that he was an answer to prayers. He was counseled to live up to his name as a righteous son in the house of Israel.  He was also counseled to serve a mission and to be a good example to those he teaches.


Here is the story of how we finally settled on his name:

From the time I found out I was pregnant we decided not to select a name until we met the baby.  We made a list that included names like Asher, Elijah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, , and Davis.  The list grew and changed throughout pregnancy, with Asher and Davis being my favorites.  Stephen also suggested Lincoln towards the end of pregnancy.  

Once the baby was born, Lincoln became an immediate front-runner.  I looked at him for a long time and just couldnt see him as a "Zeke" (Ezekiel).  Asher, Jeremiah, and Josiah stayed on my list.  

After much discussion we settled on Asher instead of Lincoln because of its meaning. Asher means fortunate, blessed, happy one. I felt like I was the most blessed and fortunate one, because I this child had answered so many prayers. I had wanted a little sibling for Ephraim from the time he was 9 months old.  It took us over a year to get pregnant and that ended in a miscarriage.  It was very discouraging.  I knew God had a plan, but sometimes it's hard to accept it when it isn't your plan too.  Finding out I was pregnant again so soon after my miscarriage was scary but exciting.  Everything about this pregnancy went so smoothly. I found a doctor's office that was supportive of my vbac and that I really liked. The delivery and recovery were also an answer to many prayers.  After the traumatic delivery with Ephraim, an uncomplicated VBAC and quick recovery were amazing!  So after considering our many blessings Asher was the clear choice.

Deciding the middle name went a little quicker.  We had thought of Donald for the middle name throughout the pregnancy, but after meeting little Asher and deciding on his first name I suggested Stephen as a middle name.  Stephen suggested having two middle names or hyphenating the names.  I wasn't sold on the idea, until one of the nurses asked what we were thinking and said, "well a big boy needs a big name." So we sat in the NICU with little Asher and wrote out all the names we were considering on post it notes.  


We finally settled on Asher Don Steven Beckman.  He is named after both his Grandfathers who are great examples of faith, hard-work and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment